Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Argument and a New Policy for RTA

I love a good argument, as most of you know. A lot of people take an attack on their argument as an attack on their person, but I have never been that way. Forums are a venue for debate, and debate is what makes the innarnets so interesting. Without debate, it's, well, the coloradoavalanche.com pom-pon fest. I'd rather watch grass grow.

There's also a difference between a few minor jabs thrown into a logically sound argument and ad hominem attacks. A lot of people never actually took the time to learn what an ad hominem is, they just assume that if you toss in a personal attack, that's an ad hominem and thus invalidates the logic of the argument. Not true. Ad hominem is a personal attack IN PLACE OF an argument, NOT a personal attack IN ADDITION to an argument.

Regardless, it appears that we have our first committed troll here. Hockeyguy, as many of you know, is a complete imbecile who has spent the last several years stalking me on usenet, various forums, and now my blog. He's a pathetic soul, and while he's more than welcome to bash me elsewhere, he's been removed from commenting here. I'm fine with argument. I'm perfectly fine with Wings Idiots coming here and attempting to disprove my arguments. But when you're only here to attack me (or others) personally, that doesn't fly with me.

So, with that said, I hereby institute a new policy...

You troll, you roll.

I don't troll your blog, and you're not going to troll mine.

No comments: